Saturday 26 January 2013

The Monument

The Monument was built between 1671 and 1677 to commemorate the Great Fire of London. It's a 61 metre high Doric column designed by Christopher Wren, with inscriptions on three of the four sides of the plinth and a sculpture on the west side. It has a gilt-bronze flaming urn at the top, which looks fantastic on a sunny day (first pic not from today - the sky wasn't quite this blue!).



I walk past Monument about once a week, and I have been meaning to go up for years. As the weather had finally improved and it was a lovely day, I thought today might as well be the day. What I didn't realise is that there are three hundred and eleven (!!!) steps up to the top. This is not for a) those scared of heights or b) those who don't see the appeal in walking up a neverending narrow spiral staircase. 

However, if you are ok with heights and can put up with the stairs, the views from the top are amazing. I'm just a bit annoyed I couldn't get a decent shot of the Shard because of where the sun was. Still, at only £3 (!! View From the Shard is £25!) all this complaining is a bit churlish, so let's get on with the pictures. 









In case it isn't obvious, I highly recommend this activity. Preferably with some maltesers ready for when you get back down. 

More info: http://www.themonument.info/history/

No comments:

Post a Comment