Saturday 22 March 2014

Dale Chihuly at Halcyon Gallery

Gosh, I am terrible at updating this thing! Must try harder. 

Today Crishna and I went to see the Dale Chihuly exhibition at the Halcyon Gallery on New Bond Street, because she loves all things glass (check out her flickr if you don't believe me - http://www.flickr.com/photos/kikishua/). It was fab and I recommend it (originally due to end on 5 April but Crishna told me it has been extended to 21 April). 

Dale Chihuly is an American artist who makes amazing glass sculptures which look a lot like they could be living creatures (see ghost aquarium pics below). You may have seen one of his sculptures in the V&A if you're in London, but he's exhibited all over the place. 

Lots and lots of photos here, enjoy!













These were on top of a canopy of sorts and from below looked like when you walk through a tunnel in an aquarium:





Plenty of inspiration for anyone wanting to write a horror story featuring beautiful-yet-malevolent plants























Plenty of things that look like some sort of shell:












Giant bowls (no, I'm not sure either):











Those last two are the same bowl, which shows you what can happen when I try different settings on my camera and don't pay attention.

And finally, my favourite thing, the ghost aquarium (nb this is not the name of the display, it's just what it looks like to me):








Best not to wonder about the prices, but I'd still recommend the exhibition if you have time! There's some lovely effects with lighting in there that I didn't always manage to capture with my dinky camera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment