Thursday 9 October 2014

Open House London 2014 Day 2 Part 4

Last place! It is tiring just looking back at these things - no wonder I booked the Monday off from work. 

As I was on the DLR and it is, as everyone knows, the best way to travel around London, I went to see Limehouse Town Hall. Unfortunately failed to take into account this would involve walking down Commercial Road (never a good time), but it didn't take too long to get there. 

Limehouse Town Hall was built in 1879. It is Grade II Listed and currently on the English Heritage At Risk register. It is being renovated for use as an arts/community centre and I really hope they can get it all redone as it was a very nice space and the people running it (http://www.lthct.org.uk/) obviously care a lot about it. 



Inside:







I particularly liked the balustrades. 

After having a look round this building I considered dashing off somewhere else (it was about 4.30 or something) but then sanity prevailed and I stopped there. My total was 9, which equals my previous record but is slightly disappointing as I was hoping to beat it. Still I did enough planning this year that sorting out next year should be easier! I also picked up a lot of info about places which are in Open House but also open other times, so I have many other places to go. 

I was very very pleased with the sites I visited and as ever it was a tremendously exciting weekend to be in London. My favourite was probably Crossrail at Canary Wharf (as I can probably go back to Trinity Buoy Wharf). 

No comments:

Post a Comment