Tuesday 2 June 2015

Fenton House

Fenton House is a National Trust property in Hampstead, a smart town house dating from 1686 with some interesting collections inside. It costs £6.50 for non-member entry so is pretty reasonable (or you can just go into the garden for £2). 

Lesley and I went on a very rainy morning, and annoyingly I don't have a photo of the house from the front as by the time it stopped raining my camera batteries had given up the ghost, but this is a view from the garden before that happened:



Inside the house are collections of paintings, china figurines and musical instruments including a whole lot of harpsichords. There was actually a harpsichord player in while we were there, which was really interesting to hear (I think this is a fairly regular thing so worth checking out!). 






Instruments:







There was also this excellent thing, which was my favourite:




It is a nef and is a decorative salt cellar (obviously, I mean what else would it be??). A decorative salt cellar on wheels, no less. I love it and I want one. 

The rain did stop after a while and we went out into the garden, but I'll put those pictures in a separate post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment