Saturday 7 November 2015

Open Hooooooooouse 2015 #3

Side note: this series of posts is never going to end. ONWARDS!

After the walk, I headed back towards Holborn, hoping to get to the German Historical Institute, though I missed this as they closed at 2, so instead I went to my favourite Korean restaurant (Bi Won on Coptic Street) to get lunch (squid in spicy sweet sauce, THE BEST) and have a brief break.


My next stop was McCann London, which is a former Daimler garage that has been turned into an advertising agency’s office. I originally chose this place because I got it mixed up with another white art deco type building, however that one is in Mount Pleasant and I don’t even know what it’s used for or exactly where it is, so once I’d worked that out I decided to come along to this one anyway, and I’m really glad I did. The building itself was really interesting, and being an ad agency there was a lot of creative decor.


It was built in 1931 and was actually in use as a parking garage until 1988. The designer, Wallis Gilbert, also designed Victoria Coach Station. As it is a listed building, McCann have had to be a bit creative, so a lot of the original features are covered to make it suitable for use as an office (for example the ramps have been turned into quite sloping stairs). They've also got a roof garden and a swish coffee bar for staff.

External views:





Internal shots of the foyer and coffee bar:






Views from the roof:









No comments:

Post a Comment