Sunday 25 March 2012

Not London! Inside Köln Dom

I didn't spend that much time inside the cathedral on this trip, although on my last trip (five years ago or something like that) I did walk up one of the towers. Sadly the pics from that are on my nearly dead hard drive so I can't get to them at the moment. Ah well. 


The Cathedral is built to a typical Gothic design, with oodles of flying buttresses outside (see most of the pictures in the last post) and a tall arcade, narrow triforium and tall clerestory inside. And wow, those are words I've barely had to use since finishing my degree!


(in Gothic architecture, the roofs of the aisles are lower than the roof of the nave basically to allow for gorgeous big windows in the clerestory to let light in - they knew what they were doing, sixth picture has a good view of the three levels)



 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment