Monday 26 March 2012

Not London! St Andreas, Köln

St Andreas is a Romanesque church (gosh, last week German, this week Heritage Studies, it's like I'm going back in time) very near the Cathedral. Just over the road, in fact. 


...what, you thought I might have done something like taking a picture to illustrate that? Hahaha, no, that didn't occur to me until right now. 


Anyway, here's a quick screencap I did from Google Maps (the A is St Andreas, the cross-shaped building is the Cathedral):




I didn't get to go inside the church, but the outside is pretty impressive anyway. It was consecrated in 974 and rebuilt in the 13th century. It's one of the 12 Romanesque churches of Cologne (I could spend a week in Cologne just on the churches), but actually combines Romanesque and Gothic elements. And being really huge, obviously. 





No comments:

Post a Comment