Sunday 21 July 2013

Tree Trail


I decided my pictures were good enough to post, although I did just go through them going 'that's a tree, that's a tree, so's that...'. Basically what I'm saying is that it's a good idea to do this walk with someone who knows about trees. I have enthusiasm for trees and plants but nooooo idea what I'm looking at, so I went out with my stepmum this morning :-).

The tree trail was developed for the City of London Festival, a series of free events/things that is now mostly over, sadly. Still, it will be around next year and if you download the map for the tree trail you can do it whenever.

http://www.colf.org/whats-on/704-tree-trail

There are a few different trails to choose from on the map - Lesley and I went for the 2-mile walk, and for some reason we started near the end and worked backwards (it made sense at the time, I swear), and I've not posted photos of all of them as some of them really do just look like...trees.

I am not very good at this nature stuff.

ANYWAY, the first place we went was Cleary Gardens, which I recommend at any time because it is a lovely little oasis in the middle of a lot of very big buildings. It's off Queen Victoria Street, and I should probably do a whole separate entry for it. The tree here is a Swamp Cypress, apparently.

 


(the little house in this picture is an insect habitat)

There are Elms on Queen Victoria Street:



Gingko Bilobas on the footpath up to St Paul's Cathedral:


A tulip tree (apparently) outside the Old Bailey:


A fig tree at West Smithfield Rotunda Garden:



(you can just about see some figs in the second picture)

A huuuuuuge Sweet Gum outside St Paul's Cathedral:


And a London Plane just off Cheapside (also huuuuuge):


No comments:

Post a Comment